Sunday, November 15, 2009

Raw Foods - What's that mean???

"Raw Foods" means different things to different people. Some authors and "experts" are very strict in their definition and several famous writers have published the "rules" that define a very strict vegan (non animal based) raw foods diet.

But my definition is simpler and makes sense to me: I think of raw food as any plant based food that has not been cooked, with the enzymes intact, the fresher the better, organic if possible.

I think of raw food as mainly fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, cold pressed oils, greens, and herbs, etc.

Some people eat 100% raw, but I don't. I find that I eat about 10-15% of my calories from non-raw sources, because otherwise I might feel deprived, and eating 85-90% raw allows me to sample occasionally from meats, fish, poultry, and other cooked foods that I enjoy. That way, I'm able to continue this awesome dietary lifestyle, enjoying the many benefits for years to come!

For me, I am not ready to adopt a 100% raw food diet, although there are days when I'm eating 100% raw. I like taking ownership of my choices around food. When people ask me what's "allowed" on my diet, I'm fond of saying "It's my diet and I'll eat what I want". If I was eating by someone else's rules, I would not be taking responsibility for my choices, and would eventually give up as I have on so many strict diets I've tried over the years. I find that it has to work for me and satisfy me, or it's just not going to work in the long run.

The more I educate myself, the more I want to avoid those foods that create ill health, obesity, low energy, and mood swings.

One of the biggest changes for me was that when I started to increase the amounts of fresh fruits in my diet, my craving for refined sugar and carbs just fell away. I think eating mostly raw foods has deeply satisfied my nutritional needs, so that I just don't crave junk foods, carbs, and sugar laden candies or sweets anymore. My food choices are so delicious and satisfying, and I get to have them so often, that I just don't crave the foods that I know aren't good for me.

That expression "you are what you eat" has brand new meaning to me now. Eating beautiful, fresh, mostly organic food makes me feel beautiful! I love shopping for it, I love running it through the check stand, I love preparing it, and most of all, I love eating it!

No comments:

Post a Comment